Callaghan College

Collaborating to Empower Learners

Telephone0436 807 676

Parents, carers and the community

As a parent or carer, you are an important part of our school community. We offer a range of services to support you and your family.

Parents and Citizens’ Association (P&C)

Callaghan College has a P&C that welcomes all families and friends to our Callaghan College community.

Our families are an integral part of the Callaghan College School community. As such, the P&C joins families from across our campuses, and has the role of nurturing an inclusive and diverse school culture.  

The P&C meets formally once a term, however, from time to time, there are activities around the campuses where help from families would be greatly appreciated. We promote this via Facebook and our mailing list. 

To join our mailing list, or find out more, please contact our P&C at:

Mrs Sarah Nash
P&C President

Would you like to contribute to Callaghan College's next school plan?

Fill in our 5 minute survey, and watch the below video with Sarah Nash and our College Principal, Kylee Owen to find out more. 

Counselling for families

The school counsellor can assist when families undergo a trauma or big change. Contact us to make an appointment. For information in community languages, see school counselling service.

Outside of the education system, free telephone counselling services are available to support families who may be going through a difficult time.

  • Lifeline – 24-hour telephone counselling service. Ph: 13 11 14.
  • Mensline Australia – 24-hour telephone counselling service for men. Ph: 1300 789 978.
  • Parent line – an advice and information service. Ph: 1300 1300 52.

Interpreting and translations

We will help you communicate with our school. If you’d like an interpreter for a school meeting, let us know and we will arrange one, if available.

If you don’t speak or understand English well and want to contact us, call TIS National on 131 450 and ask for an interpreter in your language. The operator will call the school and get an interpreter to help. This service is free.

For more information, listen in your language.

Visit the department’s translated documents section for important information that’s relevant for your child’s education in many languages.